Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Enterprise Story


Homeless Couple Finds New Opportunities at UMOM New Day Center
By Katherine Becerra

Phoenix, Arizona -- A happy couple is holding hands and smiling as they reminisce on their relationship. The tattoos on their faces are permanent reminders of their dark and troublesome pasts. Prison, domestic violence and drug addiction are problems they have overcome. Their next obstacle -- homelessness.

Lela Jose Harvey and Anthony Main are two of the over close to 325 individuals currently in UMOM New Day Center’s transitional housing program. The couple, which entered UMOM’s program in 2011, is working to reenter society and get off the street permanently.

Harvey, 28, is a mother of four and a survivor of domestic violence. Harvey grew up on the Pima Reservation with her grandparents.

At the age of 16 Harvey moved out with her boyfriend. The violence started just a few months into the relationship and continued for four years. “I stayed because he told me he would change, I was scared and in love,” Harvey said.

“He hit me, punched me, threw me,” Harvey’s eyes filled with tears, “ and he had sex with me, when I didn’t want to.”

Harvey had her first two children, Dayton, 9 and Tyrell, 8, with her teenaged boyfriend.

She finally got out of her daily suffering when her boyfriend went to prison for the domestic violence charges she filed. But the peace didn’t last long; Harvey entered a new relationship, “I started to pick up on it, he had a really hot temper,” she said. Her nightmare continued. 

She came out of her second relationship with two baby girls, Shyle, 5 and Kuresma, 3.  

“Jail was my out of the relationship, I was thinking about leaving him,” she said. Harvey was incarcerated for trafficking illegal aliens. After serving her time Harvey had nowhere to go and ended up on the streets of Tucson.

Harvey stayed at two different homeless shelters until going to UMOM in February 2011.

“They helped me with my past but I wasn’t moving forward,” Harvey said.

UMOM was founded by the United Methodist Church 1964 starting out as a park outreach program. In  1989 the program began to offer temporary housing and social programs to the homeless.

Today UMOM New Day Center specializes in assisting homeless families; they do not take in any singles. Their facility in downtown Phoenix currently houses 117 families and provides services to stop the cycle of homelessness.

Complete with a wellness center, which can provide all urgent care and preventative services, childcare, after school programs, culinary classes and job boot camp, the program successfully graduates 92 percent of their families, who enter permanent housing.

“Our New Day Center provides shelter, meals, education/skill training, employment assistance, case management, crisis counseling and much more! This program is focused on improving the families’ quality of life and preparing them for permanent affordable housing,” said Michelle Davidson, UMOM public relations manager.

Main moved in with Harvey and her kids at the UMOM facility in March 2011. “They saved my life,” Main said, “ If I was still on the streets still I wouldn’t be doing good for myself. But I’m not calling this place home. I’m not going to get comfortable here. Home will be the next step.”

Main grew up in a tough neighborhood and at a young age was on his own; both of his parents passed away and his brother moved to California. Main lived on the streets for two years, stealing to stay alive and committing crimes for money. His lifestyle landed him in jail.

Main and Harvey met at a halfway house in 2009. “She is still iffy about trusting me but I would never put her through what she has been through again,” said Main.

Not having children of his own, Main took on the role of father to Harvey’s kids. “I see a difference in them since he came around. They are more polite,” Harvey said

Harvey and Main stay in a one-bedroom apartment at the UMOM facility. They will be able to receive services for up to two years as long as they stay active in their programs.

“She got her culinary certificate and is working on her G.E.D. I’m looking for a job everyday,” Main explained.




UMOM New Day Center

UMOM accepts donations at any time at their location in Downtown Phoenix, 3333 East Van Buren St. Phoenix, Arizona. They are always looking for volunteers. 


 I wrote this for an assignment in my news writing class this fall. It was a great experience to interview people who have such a different story compare to those I interact with everyday. I hope anyone that reads this realizes that each person on the planet has their own story and before we jump to conclusions and judge them we need to take the time to actually learn about them. 

-Kat 








No comments:

Post a Comment